.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Thursday, February 23, 2006

A Call For Danes...

Moved on! Check TheCairoCalls

You know what? In a weird, twisted kind of way (I'm addicted to this sentence!), this whole Danish cartoons debacle had some very good side effects.
The most obvious for me as a blogger was the surge in the number of Danish and Norwegian readers of my blog. I am sure that the same happened to a lot of mid-eastern bloggers.
I think this enabled some Danish readers to understand a little bit more about us as real people, and not abstracted media characters, which I'm sure would lead them to realize that not all of us are embassy-torching, foreigners-beating bunch of lunatics. So, in a way what happened was a good thing.
I, however, feel envious because their attempts at connecting with us and reading about us is not equally repaid.
So for all my newly found Danish, and Scandinavians friends (Denmark isn't Scandinavia, right?), can you please provide me with links to good blogs of yours! I want to start understanding more about you, but I don't know where to start; be my guide!

P.S.: Wow, I have a reader from Estonia! Feel free to contribute, but I guess I will need some information which are more on the, what should I say?, basic stuff. Like, what's up with the flag colors? (well intentioned!)

Moved on!

3 Comments:

Toman, how do you make links in this comment section?

By Blogger Seneferu, at February 23, 2006 8:08 PM  

I thought that it was finland, sweden, and norway...because, you know, denmark isn't on the same peninsula all together...anyhow..who I am to say?...
(and about licking each other fingers...glad you mentioned that it is a cheetos refrence!!)

By Blogger TB, at February 23, 2006 8:17 PM  

As kickers points out people from Norway, Sweden and Denmark speak languages with the same root. If the languages are spoken slowly then with some effort it is understood by people from the other countries. Reading the languages is easier because the words have the same root.

All three languages sounds like little dogs barking and are notoriously difficult to learn. We disagree about which one is worst.

The majority af people speak english.

Spanking children is against the law in all three countries.
School, college and university are free.
Questioning any authority is considered positive.
Illiteracy is very low. There is compulsary education and if parents keep their children from going to school the authorities will interfere.
Admission to hospital is free.
Women are among the most liberated in the world.
Religion is considered private.
For a politician (or any other public person) lying is political suicide and not even your friends will support you.

In general we dislike fundamentalism, nazism, fascism and other oppressors intensely.

We are monarchies where the royal families are without any political influence other than signing the laws the governments have passed.

We are among the biggest spenders of money to less fortunate countries.

We laugh at the same things as you, The Sandmonkey and The Pharao.
We just say the same things in public.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at February 26, 2006 12:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home