.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Buy Chicken! Buy Chicken for God's Sake!!

Moved on! Check TheCairoCalls

Listen I didn't even want to talk about the water contamination rumor, but really just don't tell me that you didn't see it coming. I knew this water thing was coming sooner or later (Heck, I was even watching El Nom Fel Assal yesterday, where a bystander in one scene comments on the sexual impotence endemic 'Yalmaya yal hawa!' 'it's either water or air that is causing this'). But what really amazed me was the speed by which the rumor spread.
In, literally, 30 minutes this happened:
  • A rumor spread that the government is shutting off water supply in all Egypt, to sterilize it because dead birds fell into the Nile.
  • News spread all over work that El-Gezira Club, the German School (DEO), and the Zoo were closed because dead birds were found there! (Good luck trying to figure out what's in common between those three places)
  • Mineral water stocks literally vanished from markets everywhere
  • Somebody drank a cup of water, then looked at it in disgust. "You know what?" he said "it tastes like chicken"!!!
Now, I know that a lot of people are terrified by this. I also know that I can keep pulling jokes out of this thing all night. But I couldn't care less for neither.
What is really bugging me, beside the fact that we're an ignorant, easily-manipulated mob, is the fact that our ignorance is affecting other people's only source of income.
In a matter of days, this ignorant, rumor-filled boycott of chickens had cost chicken manufacturers and dealers millions of pounds. Now, those guys have nothing to do with Denmark, and I'm pretty sure most of them don't even know a thing about it, but we're foolishly pushing them into bankruptcy.
So please, and if even only for the sake of making a statement or aiding your fellow Egyptians, Arabs, Muslims, or Copts (whatever turns you on...), please, please buy chicken.
It is harmless, it is halal, it never complained about being stuck by the thousands in tiny rooms, it didn't insult anybody, or abuse the children of Iraq and Sudan. Most importantly it cannot possibly infect anybody with bird flu through eating. It is just not possible.
So for the sake of reason, and for the sake of the thousands of families which are losing their only source of income:
Buy Chicken! Buy Chicken for God's Sake!!

Moved on!

7 Comments:

If this would help, there's not a single recorded case of bird flue transferred to humans through thoroughly cooked chicken, all of the recorded cases were of people working or living at chicken farms and having direct contact with the chicken. So chicken eaters, don't worry panic, chicken growers, well, be very afraid.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at February 22, 2006 1:53 AM  

i wish i could help! unfortunatly they dont sell Egyptian chicken in Torotno!

By Blogger Assem, at February 22, 2006 5:05 AM  

i have eaten chicken last night, tomanbay, drank water directly from the nile when i was in aswan and having eggs for breakfast this morning.

they call me crazy ass here, but that's it, i am a crazy ass.

the funny part is, my mom gave me common influenza tablets after i finished my macarony and chicken meal yesterday. Praying it would help although I do not have a flu...

Waiting for the day we start importing chicken and birds... Will they be danish?

By Blogger Jimmy, at February 22, 2006 2:19 PM  

Yeah, it's a truly mad thing about the water. Our water is so pumped up with clorine that no virus or bacteria would survive in it..

And by the way: The German school (DEO by the way) did NOT close. How do I know? I'm a student there ;-).

Sports lessons were cancelled though. Some people said because they found dead birds on the football field. I didn't care anyway..

By Blogger The Sphinx, at February 22, 2006 3:17 PM  

DEO! yeah sorry...I dont know what I was drinking!!! I knew it is Deutche Efelangial something...fa i picked W (there seems to be a lot of Ws in german!)
Anywyas, yeah thats what i heard that the school was all closed...thats the beauty of rumors!

By Blogger TB, at February 22, 2006 3:29 PM  

Speaking about rumours, I just realized that there's nothing easier than spreading a rumour in this country. All you need is a mobile phone with enough credit to send an SMS to the most rumour-spreading person you know. Either that, or a valid e-mail account with enough contacts ;-)

By Blogger The Sphinx, at February 22, 2006 4:27 PM  

hell...u dont even need to do that...just speak in a loud voice to a person in a crowded place...That will do it!
I love this country!

By Blogger TB, at February 22, 2006 4:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home