.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Friday, November 04, 2005

The Ikhwan (Muslim Brothers) Strike Again

Moved on! Check TheCairoCalls

I don't know why these Ikhwan news keep falling practically into my lap. This is just in:
Some guy I know who lives in Nasr City, reported that some guys came knocking on his door, and when he did answer them, they told him that they're here to convince him of voting for the Ikhwan candidates in the People Assembly elections, and asked for his mobile number so that they can inform him of where and when to vote.
I don't know what to say. On the practical, pragmatic level, I have to say that I am impressed with the level of organization, and commitment these people are exhibiting. I didn't think that I'll live to see the day when candidates will go door to door to try to convince their constituencies, here in Egypt. On a more ideo-political level however, I am starting to get nervous, cuz these people are determined, and there is nobody in the opposition who is taking the matter half as seriously as they do.
On the ground, I feel that all is set for a magnificent showdown between the NDP and the MB in Nasr City. I think that Nasr City is especially important for the MB because it is one of the constituencies with a high concentration of middle-class educated professionals, same as Dokki, with the difference that many of Nasr City inhabitants have actually lived some part of their lives in the Gulf, and will be consequently more open to the MB ideology.
Overall, I think that the NDP's Mustafa El-Salab will prevail over the MB's Makarm El-Driri, after all he has got much more resources, and to be fair, a very good reputation among people of Nasr City especially when he played a major role in reconnecting the main water pipe-line to Nasr City which was down for almost two weeks last year. On the other hand, I think that the MB's workers' candidate (I can't remember his name, sorry) has a very good chance against the NDP's Thwrya Labna, who have a very week presence over there in Nasr City.
TB's prediction for Nasr City & Heliopolis:
NDP 1, MB 1

Moved on!

2 Comments:

Well, check my post about Syria here

By Blogger TB, at November 06, 2005 8:18 AM  

..interesting perspective.
Again if you follow the above link,its always some one else's fought.This blame game is going no where.But its the times we live in..At least the ball is being moving,I`m an optimist,the future can be bright if the people will stand up an make their wishes known..these two-bit thugs are keeping waaay to many people down...this we can agree on...the only debate seems, how to shed the yoke..

By Blogger Rob_NC, at November 08, 2005 2:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home