.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Saturday, October 22, 2005

Alexandrian Outrage

Moved on! Check TheCairoCalls

I've always tried to steer away from religious discussions, as I am a strong believer in the separation of the religion and the state, but that doesn't mean (as most people in this part of the world would be inclined to assume) that I don't have my own religious beliefs. I just didn't feel that I have any right to preach them while discussing political matters. Having said that, there comes a time when you have to make an exception to be able to make a point, and this is one of those times.
I will not bother restating the obscene tragedy that is unfolding in Alexandria, read about it here, here, and here. What I want to do however is to share with you a couple of speeches by Abu Bakr El-Sidiq, and Omar Ibn-El Khattab, a couple of persons those thugs in Alexandria would agree with me they don't have a chance of being more religious, and more understanding of Islam than them.
In speaking to his Army going to Syria (in war!, I might add), Abu Bakr had this to say about how "true Muslims" must conduct:
Don't mutilate or slay a small child, an old man or a woman. Don't cut off palm-trees, burn them or pick up any fruit. Don't slay any sheep, cow or camel unless for food. You will pass by people who devote themselves to worship; leave them to what they devote themselves to. You will come to pe­ople who bring you pots of different kinds of food; if you have some of it, mention the name of God

And in another occasion he said:

Don't slay anyone of God's followers, lest God should punish you for them and throw you on your face in Hell

Omar Ib El-Khattab on conquering Palestine had this to say to the Christians and Jews living there:

We promise to defend you against anyone who wants to do injustice to you: Muslim or non-Muslim, just the same as we defend ourselves and our property. We pass the sentence on them for your interest in the sa­me way we pass the sentence on them for our money. We shall not deprive you of anything you own which is prohibited by our religion, whether it be blood, dead, intoxicants or pig. Weshall not interfere with it

Also:

When Omar felt that he was near to death, he re­commended that the non-Muslim subjects should be ta­ken care of. He said in advice to the Caliph who will co­me after him to treat the non-Muslim subjects well, ful­fill their covenant, to support them in fighting and not to burden them beyond whatthey have strength to be­ar

All of this is just a very brief glimpse of how Muslims should treat other believers. It wouldn't be just enough to say that those thugs in Alexandria are not respecting Omar's will, they are completely and utterly stabbing Islam in the back, and portraying a false and savage image of a religion which is one of the most accepting, tolerant, and (I dare to say) progressive religions on the face of the earth.

For further references to how Muslims should treat non-Muslims, go to this link, it contains a lot of useful information. (I didn't read it all yet, so I am not really endorsing it or something, I just felt it is beneficial)

You won't catch me writing about religion here again, but as I said earlier, I just had to say this.

Moved on!

2 Comments:

very nice. everyone knows islam doesn't really promote sectarian violence...the problem is, as it always is, that people are selectively religious.
i have to personally thank you for your excellent grammar...too many egyptian bloggers are inept :)

By Blogger Forsoothsayer, at October 23, 2005 5:31 AM  

Well, I wouldn't say that everybody knows that Islam doesn't promote violence, but even if they did, this post was more of self-assurance than anything else.
When everybody around you is just insisting on a point of view which you know is wrong, you tend to start thinking in their way, and you need to remind yourself, even publicly, that what you believe in is true.
Thanks for the grammar note. I think having a minor in English litreature does help after all. That's why I was excited to read the 21st fact about you. (Although I was a bit disappointed at reading the 22nd!!)

By Blogger TB, at October 23, 2005 1:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home