Muslim Brotherhood Deputy Supreme Guide on Jazeera
A lot of gutsy talk. Here are some of the sound bites:
- "The Ikhwan are present in every Egyptian town and village. If we wanted to we could've run in all 444 constituencies"
- "We believe that everybody should be involved in the change that we believe should happen in Egypt, that's why we think it would be absurd if we won a majority"!!!!!!!!(This one is really beyond me- editor)
- "We have 150 candidates. The number could reach 120 after all the cases in courts against candidates who were sentenced in military tribunals are settled"
- "Of the 120, we expect 60-70 to win in a fair elections; 40 if the government interfered a little bit; and less if the interferences were severe"
- "We only have one female candidate because from previous experiences we know that a lot of candidates are harassed and jailed, so we're just trying it out this time" (If this is not the sine qua non of the MB patriarchal thought, I don't know what is it!- editor)
- "No we don't want to rule. Absolutely no"!
How do you expect them to win in an election and have a mandate without being frank and fully transparent about their long term plans, except by playing up sensitive religious feelings and mobilizing Muslims against their fellow Christians in a certain Alexandrian constituency?!
This last question is rhetoric, please don't write to me explaining how the MB can actually win. Or do. That would be a good discussion.