.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Friday, November 04, 2005

Clarifications

Moved on! Check TheCairoCalls

It seems that I committed a major faux-pas by trying to present an idealistic point of reference to think about the AbdulKarrem-Gate from, when emotions are high, and everybody is demanding somebody's head on the altar. Miss Mabrouk thinks that what I said is unfortunate:
Seems like Tomanbays only argument is that the detained bloggers writing is so repulsive and anti-free speech itself that it disqualifies him from that particular human right. Alaa got a lot of similar comments. It's unfortunate and I don't think those bloggers and commentators themselves would like to be dragged away by seven security agents in the middle of the night.

Well, here is my unfortunate opinion in bullets (I hope this works out!!):
  • Nobody have the right to deny anybody the particular human right of free speech.
  • The government most certainly doesn't have the right to detain anybody on the basis of his opinions, whatever they are.
  • People on the other hand have the right to sue anybody how they deem have insulted, or incited hatred or oppression against them. (Which is different from denying them free speech)
  • Being from a majority doesn't deny you that right.
  • Christians in Egypt's need to make use of that right more often, as there are much more hate-talk and inflammatory speeches made against their religion than Muslims.
  • I am not supporting AbdelKarim, but nevertheless opposing his detention, because the government doesn't have the right to represent my own religious beliefs, or defend them on my behalf.
Finally, standing equally, and humbly in front of law is the greatest guarantee against the oppression of state. In the first amendment of the American constitution, a document that I have much respect for, freedom of speech and the right to petition for the redress of a grievance are mentioned in the same sentence for a reason:
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

Moved on!

2 Comments:

Please do not take any offense to my comments, but you have a misunderstanding about what freedom of speech in the US entails. You write:

"People on the other hand have the right to sue anybody how they deem have insulted, or incited hatred or oppression against them. (Which is different from denying them free speech)"

We do not have the right to sue people here for being insulted or being hated. Even in an action for defamation, truth is a defense, so there is no absolutely no legal consequence for me to call someone a lying, cheating, thief who fornicates if these are true. If I want, I can join a group of nazi's, advocate that all non whites are inferior, march in the streets to spread my polluted views, display swastika's, etc.

Now, I can't read Arabic, so I don't know exactly what the blogger wrote. But here is an example of what would be permissible in the US (I am a Christian). Jesus was fool. Jesus was a hoax. Christianity is a religion of cannibles. Fuck Christianity!

Offensive to me? Certainly. Insulting? You bet. Protected speech? Yes.

None of my comments are directed at the issues involving the Egyptian blogger. I am only responding to your assertions regarding the US constitution and its interpretation.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at November 04, 2005 6:47 PM  

Thanks for the informative reply. I might have got a couple of things wrong about the US system, but I was responding to other people who commented on other blogs and discussion forums, that AbdoulKarim deserves what he got.
My point is the government has no right to detain somebody for his opinions; if you have a problem with him, go to court(I didn't say that the court would neccessiraly take your side, it might as well take his side), but that should be what we all held accountable to; the law, and not the state police.
Hope this explians my position.

By Blogger TB, at November 04, 2005 7:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home