.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Monday, April 17, 2006

Kick Ass Moderatism

Moved on! Check TheCairoCalls

The problem with being rational and moderate, is that you're by definition unthreatening. You're not intimidating enough so that people (especially our people) would have to follow or even listen to you.
Yesterday I was talking with a couple of friends about what happened in Alexandria, and expectedly enough, one of them started the "the copts had it coming" monologue. I lashed out on him. I give him a good 'ol screw off. I think I even mentioned a body part of his mother (Egyptian curse). His reaction was amazing; he smiled and said, something like, you have a point I guess, and we should all try to cool the thing off!!
I was amazed. I tried to maintain the angry persona, but I think I failed to hide a vindication smile.
So here you go, the next time somebody tries to apologize for terrorists or claim that "Zionists are behind this" go crazy. And I mean it! You have no idea how effective that will be! We have some serious problems, and it is for everybody's good that we should take matters seriously and talk about issues openly.

Moved on!

4 Comments:

You are brave. People like you will end sectarianism in Egypt if there are only enough of you.

By Blogger Anna in PDX, at April 18, 2006 8:39 AM  

Good show Tomanbay. I had the same row with a cab driver. We started talking about the events in Alexandria and he began by saying that Muslims shouldn't think that of Christians.

As he continued talking, I guess he ran out of things to say, and since I was nodding along to his statements (just to see where he was going with all this), I guess his guard fell or maybe he just didn't notice that his rhetoric was turning from the rational to the prejudiced.

He kept blaming Christians and saying that it was all their fault. After hearing him out, I quietly told him everything he said was bullsh*t and attempted to bash everything he said.

In all honesty, I didn't do it to convince, merely to vent the anger I had that he successfully stirred with his stupid, uninformed and ridiculous arguments.

He shut up afterwards, and I'm glad he did. Maybe he'll think twice about sharing his hate with other passengers.

Kudos to you man, Kudos to you!

By Blogger Faisal, at April 18, 2006 12:54 PM  

I've been asking this on every blog that posted that statement supposedly made by the "head" of the Muslim Brotherhood, where are the transcripts of the whole discussion where he mad that statement?

Does anyone cares for the facts?

By Anonymous Anonymous, at April 19, 2006 5:59 AM  

anon: yes of course it is all about facts, check the update to the post about Mahdi Akef.

By Blogger TB, at April 19, 2006 11:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home