.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Friday, January 27, 2006

TB Goes To The Stadium

Moved on! Check TheCairoCalls

Although I usually give the impression of a hard-headed, snobbish kind of intellectual who frets only about the most challenging problems, and the most paradoxical of philosophical paradoxes, I am also an avid football fan. (Yeah, it is football, not soccer, and if you don’t stop using soccer, I’ll start using the British name: footie; you’ve been warned) And as you might have guessed, the levels of my obsession with football are in an all times high now. With the Africa Cup of Nations taking place in Egypt, I can hardly keep track of all the matches, results, and news (especially that I have to do such trivial things as work, and so on). But I managed to get tickets for a couple of Egypt matches (very hard by the way); the opening match against Libya, and Saturday match against Cote D’Ivoire.
I know that this post is one week overdue, but you know: better late than never. So here are the photos of all the action of the opening day from the stands(until my camera battery died, my phone memory was full, and the guy next to me refused to give me his phone for a spin). You can’t get that anywhere.


1:30 PM The stadium is still empty, I guess we're early. What are they doing? Are they still painting the lines? Isn't it a little late for that?!! Only in Egypt, sigh
DSCI0001

DSCI0008

DSCI0009

3:00 PM The stadium is starting to fill up. It wouldn't be a full house though. I hope I am wrong. Mounir is playing on the new scoreboards. They look cool!
DSCI0012

Our beloved security forces are assuming a new role today: entertainers! The openinng show is played by approx. 5 thousand army soldiers.
DSCI0014
DSCI0016

4:30 PM Now we're talking
DSCI0040

4:45 PM Some troubles at the Libyan stands
DSCI0046

5:30 PM the opening is underway!
DSCI0048

The marching band is one of my favorites. Their red customes on the new blue track is really cool
DSCI0050

Wow! 16 parachautests each with the flag of one country are landing into the stadium. The whole stadium is singing: "Ahom Ahom Ahom El-Masreyen Ahom" ("Here Comes the Egyptians")
DSCI0054

DSCI0056

DSCI0059

DSCI0067

The sun ship entering the stadium. That's a real size replica
DSCI0072

The Fans:
Image097

Image103

Image109

Let me leave you with some fireworks!
Image140

Image127

DSCI0061

Meet you next match!

Moved on!

6 Comments:

thanks....
i have an issue with those welocme backs (not that i'm not appreciating it)..but I always wonder: welcome back to where?

By Blogger TB, at January 28, 2006 1:13 AM  

I don't konw...the 'Egyptian blog ring' maybe? BTW, everytime I see the title of your post "TB goes to the stadium", I can't help but read it as Tuberculosis goes to the stadium. Kaffallashar, lol.

By Blogger Seneferu, at January 28, 2006 1:53 AM  

i know...i am familiar with the TB abbreviation...hmmm...i wonder if that means something?!!

By Blogger TB, at January 28, 2006 2:54 AM  

Hey there. I'm glad you found my blog. How did you do that? I thought it was boring enough that no one would care.... Anyway, would be interested to know if you are a student and how long you will be here. I am always looking for new friends. It can be lonely at first when you move to a new country. Go to my blog www.tortilla-soup.blogspot.com and send me an email....

By Blogger Cary Matthews, at January 28, 2006 1:13 PM  

did you see the big flag in the middle of the second class? The one wich was written in latin (don't ask!) we were just above that...plus I could have been in any of your shots really...
nice job, though!

By Blogger TB, at January 29, 2006 12:09 PM  

Hey,

Very well done! I want to give you my compliments on a well organized blog...

If all the rest are very similar to this at least mine is not. I was not able to create more than 6 posts. I got fed up.

I wish to start writing on something whilst getting feedback from comments but it is not yet a simple thing. I hope for the best.

Thanks,
extra money from home make

By Anonymous Anonymous, at February 04, 2006 5:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home